Best Muscle-Building Exercises
During your workout targeted at building muscle, if you take time to learn the best “bang for buck” muscle building exercises, this will allow you to not be wasting your time on repetitions that diminish your muscle growth potential.
Far too many people working out in the gym aren’t performing their workouts as they should, and this can significantly cut into the results they see.
The selection of exercises in your program plan will definitely either enhance or inhibit your results, so how you’re spending time in the gym is not something to take lightly or overlook easily. Its crucial to make the correct selection. When I am gearing up to undertake a gym session or any exercise session for that matter, 3 questions I ask myself,
- What is the purpose of this session
- What is the target (Body area, Specific Muscle, Maintain, Build or make Leaner)
- What will be the structure of the session. (Reps, Sets, Pyramid, DropSets, Stackers etc.)
The last thing you want to be doing, is spending 1 hour in the gym, picking and choosing as you walk around, watching TV for a couple of minutes or checking out your image in the mirror. It should always be a focused session with goals and time allotted for each exercise. Get in, get it done and go home!
Remember: – Maximum gains for Minimum Time
The best exercises for developing lean muscle mass will set you up for success by causing a higher testosterone release in the body, which will amplify the muscle-building rates post-workout.
Let’s take a quick look at the top muscle building exercises that you should have in your overall program plan.
- Squats – The king of lower body movements, squats are essential in any leg building exercises. These will work the quads, hamstrings, glutes, spinal column muscles and your core.
- Lunges – are the next standard leg movement and can be done with either a set of dumbbells or a barbell across your back.
- Deadlifts – are a great way to boost your glute muscle strength and build a better butt as well. They’re also going to be great for strengthening the lower back muscles.
- Step-ups – work all the main muscle groups in the lower body and will also test your balance and agility. (Add dumbbells for an extra challenge, once adaption occurs, try Isolated leg step ups!! (Highly Recommended – for Advanced level only!))
- Split squats – This is another terrific glute-building move, and since you will be slightly off balance while you perform it, you will be targeting your core as well.
- Bench press – The bench press is a good upper body strengthener and will hit your chest, shoulders, triceps and even your bicep muscles to a small degree.
- Shoulder press – The shoulder press is a fantastic movement for strengthening the primary shoulder joints and keeping your upper body strong.
- Bent-over rows –This exercise is ideal for hitting the back muscles. Think of squeezing your shoulder blades together as you do it to see maximum strength gains in the muscles you are aiming to target.
- Pull-ups – Pull-ups are going to work the lat muscles, the biceps, as well as the core, which always acts to stabilize the body.
- Push-ups –Push-ups are a great chest strengthening movement that will help to work the triceps and biceps at the same time. With so many different variations you can perform, you should never get bored with this exercise.
So there you can see the best muscle building exercises that you should be doing. Remember to rest in between sessions, you do not want to do these back-to-back in each and every workout you do, time must be allowed for muscular micro tears to heel and regenerate, this allows tougher and stronger muscle fibres to form, the gains from each session are made during downtime eg. Sleep or Relaxing on the Sofa.
Specific Recovery will keep your body in peak form, fully rested and ready for what is coming next and ensure that you continue to see the results that you’re looking for from your workout program.